When in a relationship how important is it before taking the step to marriage that you live together? A few days ago, this was the topic of discussion between me and a friend. He argued that you don’t really know a person until you live with them, so therefore it is important to live with your significant other before marriage. My BF and I have been together for 2 year and things are looking serious. Is this something I should be considering?
I grew up in an old fashion home; living together was not an option before marriage. Now in my own relationship headed towards the alter, I have forged my own opinion.
Marriage is a serious topic; living together should not be the test you need to pass before you decide to marry. If you are considering marriage think about the following questions:
- Have you met his family? Do they like you or you them?
- Are your finances in order and can you talk about them?
- Can you stand to look at them after an argument?
- Does he/she respect you?
- Can he/she be your one and only?
- How supportive are you of each other?
- Can you live with all their habits and character traits?
- Is the intimacy lifelong good?
- Do they provide you with the space needed?
- Do you want children and if so how many?
Don’t get me wrong; moving into together is also a serious commitment. When deciding to take this step you should view the other person as someone you are committed to and not someone you want to help pay the bills.